Sunday, February 10, 2008

Week 14 Update

Healthwise, been feeling like a cold is coming on , but otherwise OK this week. [Feb 19th is my last chemotherapy].

Sadly, however, I learned that my former boss and HUD colleaque Dick Brinck passed away from lukemia last week.

Dick served as the Portland HUD Field Office Director for a longer time than anyone else in the nearly 75 year history of the office. He helped moved me along in my HUD career when he selected me as the Housing Development Division Director. Together we made a lot of improvements in both Single Family and Multifamily processing and customer service and had some fun in doing so.

Away from work Dick and I spent lots of lunchtimes and Saturday mornings running, with his nervous energy usually resulting in me struggling to keep up. We were part of a Hood to Coast team, "The running dogs", and we both fondly remember those times, and our fellow team members, whenever we got together.

More recently, Dick and his wife Julie have been especially helpful to me as I worked though my diagnosis, treatment options, and my chemotherapy over the last 6 months. Whether by email or phone I knew they were both pushing for me to help get through this and I am sad that Dick won't here for the completion of my chemotherapy at the end of February. I know I wouldn't have gotten to this point without their help , and the help of others.

Dick was a mentor, a committed public servant, and a good friend.

I will miss him forever
.

No comments: